Growing our own food at home, at schools and in the community using natural-systems farming techniques such as Permaculture, is one of the most fundamental ways we can all make a great difference in the world today.
Just meeting a few of your seasonal fruit, veg and herbs needs by growing food in the place where you live has a postive impact. You don't even need to set aside a plot of land - many veg and herbs are happy pot-dwellers making dense-urban food gardening a pleasure.
A Permaculture family food garden is a particular asset that provides a healthy, outdoor activity for children and parents.Here are a few reasons why it is worth the effort:
- You can produce much of your own fresh, organically-grown veg in an extremely cost-efficient way, reducing or freeing up some of the family food budget.
- You will be participating in the global movement towards eating more locally-produced food – you cut back on your household contribution to ‘food miles’ and reduce your family’s ecological footprint by producing food just a stone’s throw from your own kitchen.
- You can put your family back in touch with Nature’s seasonal gifts and most especially, give children a first-hand awareness and appreciation of how good food is produced.
- You can save seeds from season to season building up a valuable store of healthy, natural seed - and share them in your community.
- You can reduce your household waste and make more efficient use of resources.
- Your family can become an inspiration when you share your bounty with other gardeners and families.
You can experience the satisfaction of reaping your own harvests and creating rich family traditions around the growing, preparing and eating of fresh, healthy foods grown by your own hands.